Heavy wet snow forced the race jury to cancel the Jan. 18 Audi FIS Alpine World Cup women's downhill in Cortina d'Ampezzo (Getty Images/AFP - Guiseppe Cacace)
CORTINA D'AMPEZZO, Italy (Jan. 18) - The Friday snowstorm that canceled the final Audi FIS Alpine World Cup downhill traning run in Cortina has also bumped the race slated for Saturday. The jury made the decision after a second inspection of the race course with three athlete representatives, including Stacey Cook (Mammoth Mountain, CA). Unstable snow conditions combined with an afternoon forecast of rain, snow and fog was sited for the unanimous decision. The downhill will be moved to Sunday in place of the scheduled super G. Universal Sports Network will broadcast the race at 11 a.m. ET.
Unstable snow conditions and an unfavorable forecast of rain, snow and fog forced the Cortina d'Ampezzo race jury to cancel the Jan. 18 downhill.
The race was promply rescheduled for Sunday at 11:30 a.m. Central European Time in place of the originally planned super G.
The Friday snowstorm also canceled the final downhill training run.
Julia Mancuso (Squaw Valley, CA), Stacey Cook (Mammoth Mountain, CA), Leanne Smith (N. Conway, NH), Laurenne Ross (Bend, OR), Jackie Wiles (Aurora, OR) and Julia Ford (Holderness, NH) will be on the start list for the U.S. Ski Team Sunday.
Cortina is also slated to host a second downhill and super G next weekend replacing the scheduled races from snow starved Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany.
These are the final two weekends for athletes to qualify for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games. The U.S. Alpine Ski Team will announce their nominations on Jan. 26.
Universal Sports Network will broadcast the rescheduled Cortina downhill Sunday at 11:00 a.m. ET.
QUOTES Stacey Cook It was close to being good enough, but it wouldn't have been a fair race. I think with the Olympics being so close, it was on a lot of minds not to risk something happening so close to the Olympics. For the whole field and especially the later runners, the snow would not have held up.
We've gotten pretty used to this. We haven't had any races canceled until today, but we've lost a few training runs. We just have to take it for what it is, be professional and keep the track in our heads. It will be pretty easy to stay focused for tomorrow.
Atle Skaardal, Women's Audi FIS Alpine World Cup Race Director Everything was done that was possible but we don't feel comfortable about the situation.
The course condition will not allow us to do any super G in any case. We have to try and find a realistic plan and see if we can do something tomorrow. The weather is going to be really bad now this afternoon and tonight again with continuous snowfall until Tuesday morning. But we will not give up. We will try to do the best with the situation.